The Currents Are On The Rise

New, local band The Currents have recently made themselves known to their fellow San Luis Obispo High School students by getting a spot on the SLOchella lineup on April 28. The band, who plays a mix of original songs and covers of other bands, consists of senior Camryn Goodwin, junior Joella Holmes, and two students from Arroyo Grande High School, sophomores Tanner Price and Izzy Pedego.
 The group sets themselves apart from other young bands by having each member playing multiple instruments during a set.
 “I play bass and drums, Joella plays bass and guitar and Tanner plays guitar and drums,” said Pedego.
 However, the four musicians specialize in their own instrument and every one of them can sing.
 The variable of who is going to play what instrument is something the group has to keep in mind when songwriting. Joella writes most of the lyrics and rhythm guitar parts, and everyone else tries to figure out how they can advance what she wrote.
 It is fairly uncommon that a band forms overnight, but for The Currents that is exactly what happened.
 One day Joella decided to slide into Tanner’s DMs after she realized he and Izzy liked the same type of as Camryn and Joella did. They met up, ate some fries, and played some music together. They didn’t sound half bad and started the band.  
 The band’s style is a combination of surf and punk rock, which is something Goodwin and Holmes have been striving to achieve with a band since the two met. All four members are excited to play their second show at the SLOHS spring dance.