FFA Wins Again

The San Luis Obispo High School Future Farmers of America teams did it again, returning home from Nationals with yet another several victories. With 19 students competing in multiple events, they traveled to Louisville, Kentucky for a week that they had been preparing for all year. It was not only a competition, but a fantastic and memorable experience.

“We weren’t close [the team] prior to this experience, but now we’ve all become a family,” said Novice Parliamentary Procedure Reporter and Sophomore Kalena Cirone.  Cirone was named the highest individual in debating.

The Novice Parli Pro team became National Champions after winning first place in the Parliament Procedure event with the help of SLOHS teacher and coach Anna Bates.

The SLOHS Veterinary Science team, coached by San Luis Obispo Veterinarian Dr. Marissa Greenberg and Bates, competed in a two day event consisting of written tests, hands-on tests, and a presentation on equine colic. They won first place out of 41 other vet teams.

“It was really great going again this year, and going with different people made it a whole different but amazing experience” said junior Amber Bjerre.

The SLOHS teams also consisted of multiple past graduates that returned to the chapter to go to Nationals, including 2014 graduates Benjamin Peterson, Jessie Judge, and Aidan Munoz-Christian.

Benjamin Peterson, coached by Jodi Evans, won second place in the Prepared Public Speaking contest. The Marketing teams Plan (for SLO Maid Ice Cream), consisting of Judge, Munoz-Christian and senior Evan New-Schmidt, was able to make it all the way to the semifinals.

Congratulations to all of the Nationals contestants and coaches for winning yet another year!