Love, Simon: A Love Story Unlike Any Other

The movies have always been an escape. It is an experience unlike any other, the lights  dimming down and stories of all types playing out in front of your eyes. However, until recently there has been a noticeable absence of representation shown on screen, especially in regards to the LGBTQ+ community. A controversial movie that recently came out and many San Luis Obispo High School students have seen is being both praised for its portrayal of a gay teen coming to terms with his sexuality, as well as criticized for exploiting the coming out process.

“ I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the story line was creative and cute,” said senior Tia Gin.

“Love, Simon” is based on the novel “Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda”, by Becky Albertalli, and stars actors Nick Robinson, Jennifer Garner, and Josh Duhamel. The story follows Simon Spier, a seventeen year old who is struggling with the decision to come out to his friends and family. With an opening weekend of eleven million dollars, and an attention grabbing ad campaign, the catch phrase of the film being—“He’s done keeping his story straight,”— the movie seems like a much needed story, with audiences responding positively for the most part. However, there has been some controversy surrounding the film.

“Love, Simon’ isn’t normalizing being gay, it’s exploiting coming out, a dangerous process that can have negative repercussions for many, to sell tickets and make audiences believe they’re more progressive than they really are,” said senior Stephen ZagoRodny.

Whatever your opinion on the movie, it is one that will likely stick around, as well as the controversy that comes with it. “Love, Simon” is playing in various locations, including Atascadero and Arroyo Grande.