Senior Grant Thorshov Discusses His Love For Film

There are a lot of talented people at San Luis Obispo High School, and many of our seniors are planning to pursue these gifts into college. Expressions interviewed senior Grant Thorshov about his passion for film.

Expressions: Why are you interested in cinematography?

Senior Grant Thorshov: I am interested in filmmaking because I love telling stories. I also love film because it is an extremely collaborative medium. I love working with other people to make our visions come true. I got into filmmaking around my freshman year.

Expressions: What is your favorite part of making a movie?

Thorshov: I love every second of the process. Every step from writing to shooting to editing is a lot of fun. However, my favorite part is watching people see the film for the first time, especially the people that were members of the cast or crew.

Expressions: Do you want to work in the movie industry in your future?

Thorshov: I would love too. It’s extremely competitive and a bit scary, but I would love to tell stories with others who share my passion.

Expressions: What college are you going to?

Thorshov: I am going to Tisch School of the Arts at New York University. I chose this college because I know the school pretty well, and I love New York. Also, NYU is known for forging really great storytellers like Martin Scorsese and Vince Gilligan.

Expressions: What are your plans for the future?

Thorshov: Well, I would tell you if I knew, but I don’t. I’ll go to NYU for four years and try to fund a film. I love A24 studios, and they’re known for giving budding filmmakers a shot (“Lady Bird”, “Ex Machina”, “The Florida Project”). In turn, I’ll probably move back to California. But hey, who knows what will actually happen?

Expressions: Who inspires you?

Thorshov: I think there are three major people who inspire me. I look up to Elon Musk for his diligence and refusal to stop short of the impossible. I also look up to our very own Theatre teacher Kate Stephens because she nurtures so much talent. I think my biggest filmmaking idol is Vince Gilligan. He is a great visual storyteller and he is known for his shows “Breaking Bad,” and “Better Call Saul”.