Boys Basketball Clinches League Title

Tuesday night San Luis Obispo High School Boys Basketball played their final home game of the 2017-2018 season, suffering a tough loss to Arroyo Grande High School.

The game, preceded by their senior night, was the team’s second to last chance at securing themselves as the sole champions of the CIF PAC-8 League. After a long four quarters and plenty of rowdy student section cheering, the Tigers fell short eight points, losing 62-54 to the Eagles.

“Obviously it’s disappointing to lose to one of your rivals, but we [have to] keep things in perspective. We are 10-3 in league, 21-6 overall, and we’ve already secured at least part of a league championship for the first time in ten years. We have to learn from it, grow from it. We have a chance to win Friday night and be outright league champs, have a top three or four seed in playoffs, and go on to the state playoffs,” said head boys basketball coach Jeff Brandow.

Current standings still have SLOHS ahead of AGHS by one game, but, depending on the final games of the season, AGHS could pull ahead to finish with the Tigers as co-champions of the PAC-8. Fortunately for San Luis Obispo, a CIF spot is guaranteed, however, a win today against St. Joseph’s High School would give them a bye in the first round of playoffs.

“We’ve lost two games in a row, so really we are just looking to getting back to playing our game. When we share the ball and play as a team both offensively and defensively is when we play our best. We are confident that we are going to win on Friday and bring home the league title,” said team captain and senior Will Compton.

The Tigers have had a breakout season this year, with an overall record of 21-6 and a league record of 10-3. Their losses to Mission Prep and Arroyo Grande were the first back-to-back losses of their season.