Deja Vu All Over Again: Boomerang Gang

Many students have walked the halls of San Luis Obispo High School, but few have returned to teach new generations of pupils. Recently Expressions interviewed two past students who are now teachers: American Sign Language teacher Kristen Nusbaum and chemistry teacher Ryan Ritchie. We asked these teachers to reminisce about their time at SLOHS to gain a little bit of their wisdom.

Expressions: What year did you graduate?

American Sign Language teacher Kristen Nusbaum: 2001.

Chemistry teacher Ryan Ritchie: I graduated in 1998.

Expressions: What was the biggest fad of your year?

Nusbaum: Frosted tips hair, or overalls with white shirts. And flip flops.

Ritchie: The “Macarena” was a pretty big song. People were doing the macarena dance, and we had to play it in band. We had a small rebellion against playing it, but we ended up being suppressed.

Expressions: What was the prom theme?

Nusbaum: It was probably something like Midnight in Paris, but our proms were held at the Avila Bay golf course, and they included dinner. They were a beautiful sight.

Ritchie: One of them ,must have been winter formal, was evening in paris. Romeo and Juliet was the prom theme.

Expressions: What is your fondest memory from high school?

Nusbaum: Too many to count to be honest with you. Probably being a part of ASB and choir. Also going to prom with my two best friends.

Ritchie: Probably hanging out with my band friends. Always such a good set of people, and a good set of friends.

Expressions: What was something that teachers used to do that would bug you?

Nusbaum: Give the lesson to us in math, and then tell us there’s an easier way to process these equations, but since the book said it the hard way, they would teach it this way.  

Ritchie: Nobody had cell phones so that wasn’t a problem. I guess having a whole class worth of notes and not having anything more exciting to do, I suppose.

Expressions: What was your biggest fear freshman year?

Nusbaum: I didn’t have any fears my freshman year. My sister went here ahead of me, so I kind of had the lay of the land. I didn’t fear getting picked on.

Ritchie: Definitely getting trash canned. There were rumors that seniors would pick up a freshman and place them solidly in a trash can. It was an over exaggerated rumor, but I am not saying it never happened.

Expressions: What advice do you have for current students?

Nusbaum: Look up, look around, and be present. Understand that hindsight is always twenty-twenty so offering advice to you now probably won’t sink in until it’s too late, but just try to enjoy your freedom, and enjoy the time that you have. And take a lot of pictures  

Ritchie: Study hard, do good, and get to know your teachers. Take your education seriously, because it is free now. And we can sharpen up your samurai swords of knowledge.