American Cheese Is Terrible.

In general, Americans prefer products with a less pronounced flavor than those made in Europe and elsewhere. For a good cheese lover, the situation in America is depressing. The majority of American cheeses are industrially made from recipes that allow efficient production and transportation. Even when they are home made products, American cheeses are less peppery and lack taste.

Even the European cheeses they attempt to imitate, such as Provolone, Emmental cheese (commonly referred to as Swiss cheese), Camembert, and Brie are disgusting. Moreover, the strictly American cheeses that Americans seem to love such as American cheese (actually just a “cheese product”), Monterey Jack, Cheddar, and Colby are equally as bad. American cheese is so bad in fact that the “cheese” that is sold in individual plastic wrappers can only legally be called “cheese food.” It is made with less than 51% real cheese.

In comparison, France actually values good cheese. As a country, we sell more than 57 kilograms of cheese per second and have over two hundred varieties. We even offer a cheese degree at our universities. The quality of French cheese is so high that nearly ninety percent of all cheese made, regardless of whether they meet our organic standards (a label called BIO), would meet the organic standards of the US. In conclusion, the “fancy cheese” you buy from your supermarkets wouldn’t be fit to enter our school’s cafeteria.

Sources:

ecosalon.com

thelocal.fr