What is Stunt?

San Luis Obispo High School is getting a brand new CIF certified spring sport called stunt. The 2018 Stunt team is for anyone who is interested, and it doesn’t require you to have any other former experience in generic sideline cheer. Stunt is a spin-off of the high school traditional sideline cheerleading. Stunt is more focused on the technical and athletic components of cheer; it includes partner stunts, basket tosses, pyramids, jumps and tumbling. The elements of cheer are put together into short routines. The team that completes the routine the sharpest and on point will receive the point. There are four quarters in each match which consists of pyramids & tosses, partner stunts, jumps & tumbling, and team routines. This is the first year that SLOHS is making the USA cheer created sport official for students to participate in. Schools throughout the county will go against each other. San Luis Obispo Expressions had some questions for Junior cheerleader Lisa Rodriguez.

Expressions: How many years have you done stunt?

Junior Lisa Rodriguez: I’ve been doing stunt for two years.

Expressions: What is your favorite part of stunt?

Rodriguez: My favorite part is the stunting element because we can show what we have learned over the year.

Expressions: Do you find it difficult to memorize all the routines?

Rodriguez: Yeah, they’re a little hard to memorize because you need to know where to go and what you have to do.  

Expressions: Do you enjoy sideline cheer or stunt better?

Rodriguez: Stunt because you are in a group of people who understand you and share the same passion for doing cheerleading.

Expressions: Are you happy that stunt is a sport?

Rodriguez: Yes, I’m happy stunt has become a sport.