What’s The Deal With Girls Water Polo?

There are many winter sports at San Luis Obispo High School, soccer and basketball typically being the most publicized. However, this year the girls water polo team has been facing some unique challenges as a majority of the team are freshmen. Expressions reached out to sophomore JV player Jayde Malzone for an inside opinion on this year’s team.

Expressions: What is your role on the water polo team?

Malzone: My role on the team is a driver.

Expressions: How long have you been playing?

Malzone: This is actually my first season of water polo! A lot of my friends and family play, and I thought ‘why not try it out?’ So I did and I really enjoy it. I love water and am a competitive swimmer, so anything in the pool makes me happy.

Expressions: What’s your favorite aspect of the sport?

Malzone: My favorite thing about the sport is getting to be aggressive. I don’t consider myself very aggressive outside the pool, but when I get in the water I let it all out.

Expressions: What is the worst part about water polo?

Malzone: My least favorite thing is all the work that goes into it, which isn’t quite awful considering it just helps me improve every day. In my opinion, there isn’t much to dislike about water polo.

Expressions: What’s it like being on a team that has such a strong underclassmen presence?

Malzone: Playing on a team that is [a majority of] underclassmen can be quite interesting. Sometimes it’s just a learning experience. But a team is a team and I gotta work with it! I just remember that I was a freshman not long ago, and I don’t really have a place to be judging anybody.

The girls water polo team has a game this Tuesday, December 19, against Righetti at their high school. For a complete team schedule click here.