Winter Break Has Almost Arrived

Winter break at San Luis Obispo High School is a time when students are able to celebrate their favorite holidays of the year.

On December 22 to January 8, Winter Break will be kicked off with SLOHS students getting two weeks off to relax and get away from their obligations. That means no more horrendous homework, stressful studying, and perilous procrastination.

“I’m really excited for Winter Break. I love Christmas; it is by far my favorite holiday. I plan to have fun and goof off with my family and friends,” said freshman Paloma Dandurand.

At this time of the year, everyone will be experiencing and planning their fabulous December holidays. There is Hanukkah, a Jewish celebration where families cook and bake, play dreidel, and light a candle for eight days December 12 to December 20.

Kwanzaa starts on December 26 and finishes on January 1. It celebrates African-American heritage and honors seven principles: unity, self-determination, collective work, responsibility, purpose, creativity, and faith.

Christmas is celebrated on December 25. This holiday focuses on giving gifts to family and friends, eating feasts, and putting up decorations. It originally was a Christian holiday that focused on the birth of Jesus, but expanded to non-religious people, and is now a widely-spread and liked holiday.

Now that Winter Break and our holidays are in view, we can take a little breath and say we are almost there.