Senior Caius Cowgill: From the Track to the Track

Whether it be academics, athletics, or the arts, San Luis Obispo High School is home to some extremely talented students. Though many are often recognized only for specific avenues of excellence, there are quite a few who dabble proficiently in more than one area. One such student is senior Caius Cowgill. From veteran on the SLOHS track team to talented musician, Cowgill has his feet in two streams. Expressions decided to ask him a couple questions about the records he is trying to break and trying to make.

Expressions: What are your events in track?

Senior Caius Cowgill: I’m a sprinter, so I run the 100, 200, and the 400 [meter]. I also participate in the 4×100 relay and the 4×400 relay.

Expressions: What records are you trying to break this year and how close are you to breaking them?

Cowgill: I am trying to break records for all the individual events I am in, as well as the relay records, which would require the help of my team, of course. I currently hold the fifth fastest all time record for the 100 and the 200, and we have the third fastest all time for the 4×100 and the 4×400.

Expressions: So outside of track you are currently working on an album, correct?

Cowgill: Yes I am, it’s me and my friend Alec West. It’s an alternative rock album, but our style is kind of alternative rock infused with flamenco and classical guitar. It has some more complicated instrumentals, a lot of super passionate fast guitar, as well as some more traditional songs.

Expressions: What is the name of the album and your group?

Cowgill: I don’t know about the album name yet, I think I will get a vision. The group’s name is Alternate Definition, or Alt Def for short.