Meet Rising Cross Country & Track Star Sam Simard

For San Luis Obispo High School Junior Sam Simard, running has been a huge part of her life for the past six years. At only sixteen years old, she has already been running on varsity for two years this year being her third. She has competed in many prestigious races as well as earned several awards. Since joining the track and cross country teams as a freshman, Simard has become a very important part of the SLOHS running family.

Her passion began when she saw American distance runner Jordan Hasay race in San Luis Obispo. This inspired Simard to reach out to a local youth coach and begin her running career.

“I immediately clicked with all the people and knew this was something I was meant to do,” said Simard.

Simard trains extremely hard alongside her SLOHS teammates almost year round, and all of her hard work shows. Both her freshman and sophomore year Simard and the girls varsity cross country team competed in both CIF prelims and finals, and Simard competed individually in the 1600 at CIF prelims for track and field her sophomore year. At the track and field county meet her sophomore year, Simard ran a PR of 5 minutes and 6 seconds in the 1600. Thats one mile in five minutes, and it’s not easy! She also ran a personal record on the treacherous 3.2 mile course at cross country CIF finals in 2016, crossing the finish line in just over 18 minutes.

Simard’s accomplishments in the sport can be seen beyond her fast race times and participation in prestigious meets.

“I was awarded the Rookie of the Year freshman year which was a big deal for me considering I was the only freshman on varsity,” said Simard. She also received the Black and Gold Athlete award, which she earned by proving her spot on the team and working well with her teammates throughout the season.

For the upcoming cross country season, Simard has several goals she is working towards. “Individually, I want to lead the team and work with everyone, especially because we have such a young team this year,” said Simard. She also said the team is working hard and aims to make it to the state meet this year, which Simard says they have a pretty good chance of doing.

Make sure to watch out for Simard as she represents the Tigers by tearing up the trails and the track this year.