Are Senior Trips Overrated?

As the school year comes to an end, San Luis Obispo High School seniors take part in numerous senior activities. One topic we don’t hear emphasized is the typical senior trip. It’s been known that each summer newly graduated high school students embark on trips across the world to places such as Europe and Hawaii. Now some seniors are saying that senior trips are overrated or a waste, while others are planning a full summer getaway.

“I think that senior trips are an excellent idea, and everyone should have the opportunity to at least get out of SLO. Trips can be really beneficial and you can learn a lot in one summer,” said senior William Meinhold, who will be traveling to Australia for a few months this summer.

“I’m completely for senior trips. I think they’re a great thing. Everyone should go on one to find their purpose before college and wind down from a very stressful school year,” said senior Sam Wendt.

While it does seem really nice to escape reality and take a trip abroad with a group of friends, the price you pay is rather extreme. Come fall, a good amount of the senior class will begin their journey after high school at four year universities with high priced tuition. Whether you’re attending an out-of-state private school or in-state state school, the amount of money you will owe will be an outstanding difference to your bank account. So much of a difference that maybe using all of your money right after graduation isn’t the best decision.

“I think traveling with your friends is really fun, but I think you should also be saving money for college and maybe not using all the money you have and the money you receive for graduation on a big trip, when there’s still the rest of the summer and a lot of student loans coming your way in the future,” said senior Maddie Brogno, who will be saving her money this summer to help pay off student loans she will be receiving to attend Cal Poly SLO.

On top of senior trips being extremely costly, they’re also becoming a reason for seniors to use the excuse, “I’m graduating,” as a way to receive even more money and a trip across the world.

“I mean, I kind of wish I could go on one, but I also think they’re just kind of an excuse people use to get funds to travel abroad with their best friends over the summer,” said senior Shelby Lopez.