The Latest Addition to the Nusbaum Family

San Luis Obispo High School American Sign Language (ASL) and English teacher Kristen Nusbaum has been on maternity leave since mid-October. She had her baby Saturday October 25. Expressions interviewed Nusbaum and her student teacher Alicia Philips who is filling in the teaching position until Nusbaum returns.

Expressions: When were you admitted to the hospital and how did the birth go?

ASL and English teacher Kristen Nusbaum: [I’ve] been in and out with hospital tests, but for the live birth I was admitted Saturday, October 25, was induced October 25, and learned I needed a caesarean section Sunday morning. I gave birth at 8:10 am and was discharge Wednesday, October 29 around 11:00 a.m.

Expressions: What is your new baby’s name?

Nusbaum: Ryan George Nusbaum. David [her husband] liked Ryan, and I thought, after getting to know the little guy, that the name totally fit. George was my grandpa’s name. [He was] nine pounds and 21 inches tall.

Expressions: When will you be coming back?

Nusbaum: [My] leave is still unknown, tentatively February 2.

Expressions: When will you begin teaching him ASL?

Nusbaum: ASL/ baby sign can start as early as one year. He’s a doll though! So smart!

Expressions: How do you feel about replacing Nusbaum for the next couple months?

Student Teacher Alicia Philips: I am very excited about it. I think that she’s got a good group of students, and I’m excited to teach them ASL.

Expressions: Do you feel prepared to take on all the classes?

Philips: Yes, mostly. It has been a learning experience, as any new teacher would know, but it has been good so far.

Expressions: What’s been the hardest thing you’ve had to deal with while replacing her?

Philips: Living up to her standards. She’s very loved by her students, and I think that they miss her dearly, so living up to that is the most difficult part.