Sophomore Anneke Moersdorf Is a Standout Athlete at SLOHS

Many students know San Luis Obispo High School track stars, such as seniors Callum Bolger and Shaina Morris, but lesser known sophomore Anneke Moersdorf excels in track as well. Moersdorf may not be the loudest athlete on the team, but she has earned her spot on three SLOHS top ten lists: third all time in long jump with a mark of 18′ 1.25″, third all time in high jump with a mark of 5′ 5″, and tenth all time in triple jump with a mark of 35’ 7″. Not only does she compete in track but also was on the varsity volleyball team and participated in gymnastics for much of her life. Expressions interviewed Moersdorf to learn more about her high school track experience.

Expressions: What events do you participate in?

Sophomore Anneke Moersdorf: I do high jump, long jump, triple jump, and short sprints.

Expressions: Why did you join track?

Moersdorf: I started track in eighth grade when one of my friends told me I should try it. I ended up enjoying it, so I decided to try it in high school.

Expressions: How has being a gymnast helped you in your events?

Moersdorf: Being a former gymnast has really helped me in the high jump because gymnastics taught me how to jump and do things in the air. It also taught me how to work hard.

Expressions: What is it like competing on varsity as a sophomore?

Moersdorf: I am very grateful to be a part of the varsity team as a sophomore and I’m looking forward to the next two years.

Expressions: What are your future track plans?

Moersdorf: My plans for track in the future is to hopefully compete in college, but I’m not really sure what I want to do. I’m excited to see what my future in track holds though.

Expressions: What do you love most about track?

Moersdorf: What I love most about jumps is the challenge of trying to jump higher or farther than I did at the last meet. There’s always something I can improve on.