Why You Should Cook Your Own Meals

Cooking can be a great way to discover the things that you like as well as an amazing learning experience on how different flavors mix. Creating your own masterpiece at home is always a great deal of fun. You always have the option to go out and eat whatever kind of genre of food you would like, however, creating your own meal teaches you how other communities of people like to eat their food. It is so much fun to explore the different types of spices and ingredients that other cultures put into their food. The only way you can engage into other cultures food preparation is cooking it on your own. Whether it be Indian, Mexican, Italian, African or American there are always recipes to go off of online. The great thing about cooking your own meals is that you get to experience what it takes to create a flavor that caters to yourself.

By cooking your own meals you can save a tremendous amount of money. Think about all the money that you could save when you cut going out. You could use that money to go to the movies, bowling, rock climbing, or even put it in your savings. There are so many different things that you can make on your own and once you start cooking you’ll realize that it is something that you will love to do and you’ll just want to cook more and more for yourself rather than have people prepare your food at a restaurant. Most of the time it is healthier to cook your own meals because when you eat at a restaurant often times you don’t know what is being put into your foods. There could be more sugar, salt or fat in the food that you buy at a restaurant as opposed to the food you can cook in your own kitchen. Expressions interviewed senior Chelsey Perez on the topic and this is what she had to say:

Expressions: Do you cook your own meals?

Senior: Chelsey Perez: Yes, usually like easy to make meals that only take about five minutes. Things like oatmeal or smoothies, I keep simple.

Expressions: Do you think that it is important to learn how to cook?

Perez: For sure, especially when you are living on your own because it is cheaper and it’s better than processed foods.

Expressions: So would you consider yourself mindful about what you eat?

Perez: I definitely try, like I really enjoy juicing but I would be lying if I said that I never eat cookies or eat unhealthy snacks from time to time.

Expressions: In the future do you see yourself trying to cook more advanced meals than the ones you make right now?

Perez: Yes, definitely, when I go off to college I want to be able to learn how to cook meals that will fill me up but at the same time I want to cook meals that are healthy for my body.

So try and live a little, learn to create masterpieces at your own table. If you’re disappointed with the dish that you have made you only can learn from your experiences and get better. Remember practice makes perfect and cooking your own food can only teach you what perfect food it is.