Kate Stephens Takes the Stage

The head of the drama department and Advanced Placement European History teacher Kate Stephens is known across San Luis Obispo High School for her hard work and dedication to her students. Expressions interviewed Stephens to take a look at her life inside and outside of the classroom.

Expressions: What shows have you performed in?

Drama teacher Kate Stephens: I’m currently in “Guys and Dolls” at the SLO Little Theater, but before I started teaching I was in a lot of plays and musicals. I’ve been Sophia in “Fools”, Juliet in “Romeo and Juliet”, Little Red Riding Hood in “Into the Woods” – which I loved, that was so much fun.

Expressions: What was your favorite role?

Stephens: Right now, Adelaide in “Guys and Dolls”, is my favorite role. It’s a role I’ve always wanted but I’m glad I’m playing it now; I don’t know that I would’ve been able to play her as well when I was younger. Adelaide is basically my age, she’s been engaged for 14 years and I’ve been married for 15, I think I’ve been able to bring a lot to the role from my own experiences.

Expressions: What shows have you directed here at SLOHS?

Stephens: My first show here was “The Importance of Being Earnest” and that same year we did “Into the Woods” and since then we’ve done “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown”, “The Shadow Box”, “Legally Blonde”, “You Can’t Take It With You”, “Hairspray”, “Fools”, “Guys and Dolls”, “Arsenic and Old Lace”, and now we’re going to do “Footloose”, but we’ve also had our annual Shakespeare play and some other shows that are student directed.

Expressions: What was your favorite show to direct?

Stephens: That’s a hard question, whenever I’m in a project I’m really into it and that feels like my favorite, but I guess I could say that it was really fun to do “Into the Woods” as my first musical here because it’s crazy hard vocally so I felt like after we pulled it off it felt like we could do anything.

Expressions: Just in general, what is your favorite show?

Stephens: I love the musical “Chicago” and I’d love to do that here but they won’t let you do that one yet… I have kind of old school tastes, I don’t find myself listening to the Mormons or Wickeds or “Hamilton”, I love “Hamilton” but I like to listen to “Mamma Mia” and “The Music Man” with my kids.

Stephens performs in the Little Theater’s “Guys and Dolls” March 3 through 5 and 9 through 12 with shows at 2:00 and 7:00. Tickets can be purchased at http://www.slolittletheatre.org/