Interview: Aspiring Fashion Student Emily Streeter

Some students at San Luis Obispo High School have chosen to go into more creative career pathways, such as the fashion industry. One of those students is senior Emily Streeter. Streeter has dedicated hard work throughout her high school career to make her dream of working in the fashion industry a reality. She is the president of an organization at SLOHS, has competed in fashion events, has her own blog about style, and was recently admitted into the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM). Expressions interviewed her to find out about how she has accomplished her goals and her thoughts on the fashion industry.

Expressions: How long have you known you wanted to go into the fashion industry?

Senior Emily Streeter: I’ve known I wanted to go into the fashion industry since the 6th grade.

Expressions: Has FIDM always been your dream school? What are you majoring in?

Streeter: I found out about FIDM my freshman year and have wanted to go there ever since. I am majoring in Visual Communications, which is all about making displays, styling, and event coordinating.

Expressions: What kind of activities have you done to prepare yourself for your career in the fashion industry?

Streeter: I have been sewing since the 6th grade and I also joined Family Careers and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) my freshman year. In the past three years, I have been able to compete in the fashion construction event at the regional and state levels where I received first place, and national level where I received fourth place.

Expressions: Has FCCLA and the career pathway classes at SLOHS helped you a lot and made your dream possible?

Streeter: FCCLA and the career pathway classes have definitely helped a lot. Without them, I would not have the skills that helped me get into FIDM.

Expressions: What do you think are some of the misconceptions about going into the fashion industry, and have the people around you taken it seriously?

Streeter: I do think some people still believe that you can’t have a real career in the fashion industry or that it is superficial. Another thing is most people assume that if you are going into the fashion industry, then you are going to be a fashion designer, but in reality there are hundreds of different career opportunities. I have been lucky in that my friends and family have been very supportive of my career choice and do believe that you can have a career in fashion.

Expressions: Where do you see yourself in ten years in regards to your career?

Streeter: In the next ten years, ideally I would love to either be a renowned stylist or working for a major fashion house.

You can follow Emily on Instagram @whatelseemily and check out her blog http://whatelseemily.com