Behind the Scenes: SLOHS Drama Club

The students of the San Luis Obispo High School Drama Department are hardworking individuals who, we believe, need more recognition for their amazing talents.  Expressions recently interviewed a few Drama students to see how the Drama Department has affected their high school lives.

The Drama Department of SLOHS is one of the most talented organizations on our campus. Plays allow students to share their musical, acting and and dancing talents with others and take part in a bonding experience.

Being in a play can let students conquer their fear of stage fright and become more comfortable with being in front of audiences. Most of all it can build your character and confidence.

Senior Tyra Popovich said, “I’ve gained a significant amount of my confidence from participating in Drama. Some of the people I’ve met in Drama Club have been the most influential, inspiring people I’ve known while in high school, and I definitely don’t think I’d be the same Tyra without the experiences I’ve had in Drama Club.”

“I’d say the greatest thing I’ve gained from Drama are the great relationships I’ve made with my fellow thespians,” said senior Seth Keller who has participated in the Drama Program since sophomore year.

Participating in a play can be a time consuming experience, dedicating many hours to countless rehearsals and run throughs. Students have to commit their time and put their busy lives on halt in order to participate.

In the past Drama Club has put on musicals directed by teacher Kate Stephens and a student directed play. This gives students the outlet to not only be in plays, but to direct them as well. Students are forced to take authoritative roles and direct their fellow students, which can be a difficult place to be in.

The school puts on multiple productions every year, this year they are putting on  “A Very Potter Musical” and “Footloose.”

Overall the Drama Program seems to be one of the positive programs on campus. All who have participated have gained life skills from being in the club.