Students React To Club Penguin’s Shut Down

After over ten years, Club Penguin, an online multiplayer game marketed to kids, will be shutting down on March 29. While it thrived during its time online, the popular virtual world will be closing at the end of March, releasing a new app to continue its legacy with the next generation.

Many students at San Luis Obispo High School grew up with Club Penguin, making its retirement a bittersweet event.

“Club Penguin was a huge part of my early years and I wouldn’t take back the hours I spent online for anything in the world,” said junior Sienna Gonzalez, “I used to wake up at six in the morning to play before elementary school. It was a lifestyle.”

Players enjoyed exploring the virtual world of the game, an arctic island containing stores, restaurants, and natural landscapes. Many students remember the puffles they could adopt, multiplayer games, and customizable igloos that the game offered.

“I’m gonna miss playing card jitsu and the sled race game cause I was bomb at that,” said junior Atalie Manning.

For many students across the nation, Club Penguin was a major element of their childhood and seeing it go offline is saddening to all.

“What’s a world without Club Penguin? I’ll tell you what it is. Nothing.” said Gonzalez.

View Comments (3)