The Resurgence Of Vinyl

Vinyl: a method of album distribution long thought obsolete. In recent years there has been a resurgence in the manufacturing and purchasing of vinyl records. The iconic circular LPs can be found in any “trendy” retail settings like Urban Outfitters, thrift stores, and music shops like Boo Boo Records and Cheap Thrills.

Although digital files and CDs are cheaper, more portable, and more efficient, many San Luis Obispo High School students are opting for the compact Crosley turntable and a stack of 12 by 12 inch records.

“I might be making it up, but I really think records have a crackly sound that makes the music sound warmer; like I’m in a different time period,” said junior Natalie Shaouat.

Vinyl has upsides like potentially enhancing the sound or feel of the music while providing a unique aesthetic to the room in which it is stationed.

It can also be a collectable item. Many albums including those by Lana Del Rey, Childish Gambino, and Frank Ocean come with vinyl printed with decals, LPs with varying colors other than the drab black, or exclusive bonus tracks.

Despite its questionable price point, the vinyl industry is making its way back into the American home and gracing the ears of its consumers.