Interview: Cherie Jones, The Brain Behind TNN

Tigers News Network (TNN) broadcasts over San Luis Obispo High School every day during the first ten minutes of second period. The anchors, consisting of senior James Krill, sophomore Natalie Davis, freshman Gwen Stewart and junior Anthony Barcenas tell the students at SLOHS the announcements and happenings of the week, while a team of students work behind the cameras. The broadcast has been going on for three years. The person in charge is art teacher Cherie Jones, who is currently teaching Television and Video Production, Digital Photography and Drawing.

“It’s exciting you know, students on the receiving end have no idea how exciting it is to be behind the scenes here and running the equipment. There is something to say about being live. I don’t think it would be the same feeling and the same excitement if it was recorded. And the actual bulletin needs to get out to the school. What we used to do was that someone read it over the intercom. The intercoms sometimes wouldn’t work well, some classes didn’t get it at all, student wouldn’t listen, but now that there is a visual on a big screen students are actually getting the information. I think it’s really helpful to get that information out, we’re working on it, it’s evolving and I think as we evolve hopefully visually more interesting to,” said Jones.

Students can complain about having to spend 5-10 minutes of their morning watching TNN, but there is actually more work put into it than they might think. We should appreciate the hard work that Jones has done to keep it all together.