Capitalism Ruined Christmas

Every year it seems like Christmas decorations go up earlier and earlier. While for many people this may be merely an annoyance, it is indicative of a much larger problem in society: the unrelenting capitalism and materialistic nature that clouds our collective morality.

“When I was younger it seemed like Christmas decorations wouldn’t go up until December. Now they start before Thanksgiving”, said junior Connor Jensen.

For many Christians, the gluttonous consumption of material goods which takes place every December 25th is simply incompatible with the core beliefs of the Bible. Many families don’t even attend church on Christmas, focusing solely on the gift giving aspects of the holiday.  

While every person has the right to decide on the extent of their religious practice, it is necessary that we analyze the further implications of such extreme material consumption. Some claim that despite the common lack of religious emphasis these days, Christmas is still valuable time to spend with family. While this is a valid point, I would encourage parents who take this stance to withhold presents from their children this year and see if “family time” is still a pleasant and bonding experience.

“My family doesn’t celebrate the religious aspect of Christmas but we still give presents and spend time together”, said senior Maxim Dahan.

Anyone who has participated in Black Friday, a popular time to purchase discounted Christmas gifts, knows that this violent frenzy embodies everything that’s wrong with America today. Two grown adults screaming at one another over the last discounted toaster sounds a lot more like a capitalistic modern day hell than a religious celebration.

“Black Friday is just a chance for retail companies to make buying christmas presents a premeditated, obligatory action, starting even as early as the midnight of Thanksgiving. Even when things are grossly overpriced, any amount of an outrageously good sale draws people to purchase more than they usually would, including things they don’t necessarily need”, said senior Sheri Donahue, who plans on majoring in Fashion and Merchandising.

Regardless of one’s views on the current state of Christmas, it is blatantly clear that capitalism has had an significant impact on the way we celebrate it. Most ten-year-olds don’t wake up at the crack of dawn to praise Jesus Christ, they wake up to revel in the glorious mountain of presents.