Election Recap – What Californians Need To Know

Donald Trump’s victory in the Presidential election on Tuesday, November 8 came as a surprise to many Americans. Pre-meditated polls indicated Hillary Clinton to be the leader in the race, predicting her triumph in many key battleground states. Although Clinton did win the popular vote, Trump ultimately won the majority of the electoral college with 290 votes. While third party candidates Gary Johnson of the Libertarian party, and Green party’s Jill Stein made up the remaining percentages of both electoral college and popular votes.

The reality of Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence assuming office sparked (and continues to spark) great controversy and strong emotions amongst Clinton and third party supporters. Protests and riots have been organized throughout the country, including San Luis Obispo, to rebel against Trump’s perceived racist, misogynistic, and homophobic ideology. Trump’s views on issues such as immigration, abortion, gun, and foreign policies will influence the direction of the United States for years to come. 

On the same day in California, propositions were either repealed or passed. Some major ones being: marijuana legalization (prop 64), ban on single-use plastic bags (prop 67), carrying out the death penalty (prop 62), cigarette tax (prop 56), and a more free environment for public schools to decide between a bilingual or English-only program (prop 58).