Book Review: “Siddhartha”

Photo

Few San Luis Obispo High School students go through sophomore and junior year without reading “Siddhartha,” the story of a spiritual seeker born the son of a highly respected Brahmin (Hindu priest) who leaves his family in search of true happiness and wisdom. It has the potential to be insightful for those who read it, however, most will finish this book with little more of an afterthought than, “that was pretty weird.”

The main reason people don’t enjoy this book is because assume they share nothing in common with the main character, Siddhartha. But I am here to say that you don’t need to be interested in spirituality or think much of “enlightenment” to understand and relate to Siddhartha’s search for happiness. In fact, one of the main lessons this book can teach is that we all share this common goal. However, our path may be different very different from Siddhartha’s. We may not spend hours practicing meditation or contemplation, but the motivation of Siddhartha’s quest is the same as ours.

My advice would be if you’re assigned to read “Siddhartha,” don’t get too distracted by religious or spiritual content. Simply look at it as a man’s own personal journey. This is how it was introduced to me, and reading it has been a truly valuable experience.