Movie Review: “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”

Tim Burton’s most recent motion picture, “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”, based on the book by Ransom Riggs, was released on September 30 in theaters nationwide. 

“The movie was intriguing, and scary at times. My favorite part was the girl with a mouth on the back of her head. I also liked the whole childhood fantasy aspect of it. 7.5/10, would recommend,” said sophomore Maya Nitzel. 

Centered around Jake Portman, a teenager who who feels desperately out of place in his Florida home, the film quickly turns otherworldly when his Grandfather is suddenly killed by an invisible monster.

While mourning his loss, Jake discovers clues left behind by his beloved Grandfather leading to a mysterious place for “peculiar” children located on Cairnholm Island, Wales. After arriving on the island, he stumbles upon Miss Peregrine’s time loop where every day is September 3, 1940 for her and the children (who never grow older). The kids ranging from all ages, have different superpowers or odd deformities, and are shielded from society. As Jake starts falling in love with one of the “peculiar” girls, his new found family is endangered by a band of power hungry “peculiars.”

Beautiful and nostalgic scenery, followed by an unusual/creepy Burton touch, this movie incorporates themes of the importance of being different. “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar children” is for any SLOHS student who wishes to fulfill their childhood fantasies of superpowers and villains, but with a unique twist.

“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” is playing at the San Luis Obispo Downtown Center Cinemas today.