Econ Yoga With Mr. Ross

Econ+Yoga

One may walk into San Luis Obispo High School social science teacher Gregory Ross’s classroom to find (SLOHS) students in a circle stretching their stress away. This scene is well known by all fifth period Advanced Placement Macroeconomics students as ‘Econ Yoga’. AP Macroecon alone requires high focus and endurance, but having it as the last period of the day pushes it to be extra demanding. To atone for draining moments the class encounters, Ross and students have collaborated to create econ yoga. This rare activity is used to revive concentration and energy.

“I think it’s good to have a break from class sometimes because the class takes a lot of focus, and it’s a lot of lectures and taking notes the whole time so it’s helpful,” said senior Lauren Greenlee.

The class is familiar with Ross’ love for yoga. Having learned since he was ten years old, Ross has taught as a yoga instructor and has shared about learning from a young yoga master in while studying in India. Econ yoga is described by Ross as “a chance for people who’ve never done yoga to experience some introductory stuff and take a break from intense econ learning.”

Senior Jake Peterson has been designated as the voice of the class, and suggests whenever a break for econ yoga should be taken.

“It was inspired by Mr. Franklin. He always gives us stretch breaks for every period to help the class focus and not get too bored and Mr. Ross is really into yoga, so it was a perfect fit,” said Peterson.

Each yoga session is set to five minutes for Ross to lead the class into balanced stretches of the back, shoulders, legs, and more. Students find taking a fraction of their period to pause for yoga helps them feel much better to continue with lectures. So if one does happen to walk into Ross’ class all standing in pose, know that it’s not just a simple stretch break- it’s econ yoga.