Album Review: “Blonde”

Blonde

Less than a month ago, singer/songwriter Frank Ocean came forward after years of confusing, cryptic messages and silence which was excessively discussed by the media. More than four years after his critically acclaimed album “Channel Orange”, Ocean finally released his follow up full length album “Blonde” on August 20. Immediately after, media outlets and fans alike scrambled upon hearing the news and began raving about the newly released 17 songs.

Ocean opens the album with “Nikes” which features a high-pitched, digitally altered voice crooning about past loves and sporadic drug use. On this song, and throughout the album, Ocean showcases his lyrical abilities with allusions to Shakespeare and stunning imagery. “It’s innovative and original,” said junior Sawyer McSorley, “and people should listen to it since we’ve been waiting so long.”

Another strong point on the album is the song “Solo” which showcases a more hip-hop-y side to his vocal style. With an offset cadence to the recitement of his words and the provocative content discussing partying and its issues, Ocean takes a risk and leaves his comfort zone of R&B and ventures into uncharted territory. Needless to say, his risk paid off and we are left with an incredible song and a later reprise featuring Outkast’s André 3000.

His cemented legacy excuses his bizarre choices of spoken interludes like “Be Yourself” and “Facebook Story” and his development of style and production can only leave the listener feeling optimistic about Ocean’s future musical endeavors.