Shop Locally in San Luis Obispo

Shop+Local

Whether it be through hiking Bishop’s peak, enjoying a delicious sandwich at High Street Deli, or listening to live music in the Plaza, San Luis Obispo High School students are reminded every day that they live in a unique, beautiful, and special place. But what truly makes San Luis Obispo the “happiest city in America”? Locally owned businesses that create a sense of community and togetherness downtown. Products are one-of-a-kind, and in shopping at a local boutique or restaurant, you can be certain you are giving back to your town and supporting shopkeepers and restaurant owners that are simply hard working, San Luis Obispo residents like yourselves.

Recently, with new construction and developments being built downtown, it has become clear that SLO is changing rapidly, and although it may seem convenient at first glance to have chain stores like H&M, when you examine what this means for our town, the realization is unsettling.

Particularly disheartening is the addition of William Sonoma right across the street from Forden’s, a locally owned shop specializing in home appliances.

When asked how she feels about the capitalistic motives behind putting a chain store right across from a locally owned business, senior Haley Block said, “I think that putting in big corporate money-guzzlers takes away from the character SLO has.”

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of going to Bali’s frozen yogurt in the summer with my mom and sister. Although Bali’s yogurt shop was a part of downtown SLO for many, many years, it no longer exists, and the fact that Yogurtland opened up right across the street about six months prior to its closing is no coincidence. In order to keep downtown the eclectic little gem it is, we, as students of SLOHS and members of the SLO community, must continue to support local businesses, as they are owned by our friends and families, and they are a huge part of what truly makes San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo.