Catching up with O’Connor

As summer rolls around, students enjoy their vacation all sorts of ways, but how does our principal, Leslie O’Connor, spend his time off? Expressions sat down with him to see what his summer plans entail.

Expressions: What did you do last summer?

O’Connor: Last summer I spent a week and a half doing projects around my house and a big one in my backyard.I went back to Chicago with wife and kids. We ended up having Fourth of July in Iowa at my wife’s family reunion and we were on the Mississippi River which was fun.

Expressions: Do you have any travel plans this summer?

O’Connor: I booked tickets to go to Costa Rica in July for about three weeks

Expressions: What are your principal duties over the summer?

O’Connor: Normally the first couple weeks of summer we plan out everything for next year so it’s pretty intense long days of planning. As you’re eager for the year to end, we have to have energy to plan. We put all of our calendars together. With Measure D this summer we will have building coming down and portables arriving all before July 4 weekend. Measure D demolishing will start as soon summer starts.

Expressions: Are you excited to get away from high school students?

O’Connor: It’s interesting because I really like being around teenagers, it’s fun. It’s also a giggle. I’m not overly eager to get away from high school students, what is nice is just getting mental relaxation from the daily grind on the job. It’s nice to get away and disconnect and not check your emails for two weeks.

Expressions: What are your favorite summer memories?

O’Connor: I like hanging out with my wife and kids and going to the beach, but then I always see my high school students which is always kind of weird in a good way. I love to travel. My favorite memories are traveling to Europe, Jamaica, and China. Relaxing and getting away from grading papers when i was a teacher.