RiFF RAFF Tiptoes to the Top

[dropcap]H[/dropcap]orst Christian Simco, known by his stage name RiFF RAFF, has been taking the rap game by storm. With the recent release of his latest album, “Neon Icon”, RiFF RAFF is officially blowing up. Though Simco’s music is what has made him so famous, it is his eccentric personality that has given him wide acclaim internationally.

Born in Houston, Texas to a maid and a Vietnam War veteran, RiFF RAFF was known to play basketball and freestyle on the streets. During an interview with Vlad TV, he said, “I easily could’ve been a pro baller. Easily.” This is an example of Simco’s high level of confidence.

The thing that really makes RiFF RAFF stand out though, is the lack of sense he showcases in his lyrics. In his song, “You Never Know”, he says, “With tactical air-brushed golden skin, unblemished physique/ Rap game Dawson’s Creek.” Although this quote makes little to no sense, it is an example of rap today, and how people do not need to make sense to be successful.

When asked what influence Simco has had on his rap style, senior Nathan Schmid said, “Jody Highroller taught me to not hide who I am, and instead of hiding who I was with shame, flaunt it relentlessly and distastefully with pride.”

Others however, have learned different lessons from RiFF RAFF. Senior Bardo Novotny said, “RiFF RAFF taught me to not suck.” Though this is not as positive an outlook on his music, it still shows his influence all throughout the rap community. Love him or hate him, it can’t be denied that RiFF RAFF is rising up the charts. I think RAFF put it best in his song “Versace Python”, “They talking bout Jody/they talking Jody Highroller/I keep the syrup in my soda.”