Interview: Sophomore Steven Saavedra

Sophomore Steven Saavedra of San Luis Obispo High School plays the washboard in his free time. Expressions interviewed this talented student about his hobby.

Expressions: When did you start playing the washboard?

Sophomore Steven Saavedra: I started playing when I was eleven, I think.

Expressions: How did the instrument attract your interest?

Saavedra: I was actually at the SLO downtown Farmers’ Market when I saw this little nice lady playing the washboard and thought ‘wow that’s really cool, I’ve never seen that before!’ So I was standing there for about twenty minutes and she came up to me and asked me if I wanted to play. I guess I was good because ever since then I’ve been playing.

Expressions: Are you in a band?

Saavedra: Yes, I’m in a band called Cristatia.

Expressions: Who are the other members of your band?

Saavedra: The other washboard player is  Anne Abbler and her husband, Richard Woodworth, is on the saxophone and other reeds. We have our piano player and other reed player, Del Gomez, and our banjo player, Brian Peerson, and our tuba player, Brenna Parker.

Expressions: Do you perform locally?

Saavedra: Yeah we do! We perform at private events, from weddings, engagements, and birthday parties! Actually, a one-hundredth birthday party is coming up that we are excited about because we played at his ninety-ninth party.

Expressions: What’s the most interesting aspect of playing that instrument?

Saavedra: There are kinda washboard signs behind everything. These different metals make different noises. It all goes into percussion and even how you stroke your hand against the board. It’s also really interesting to tune your ears to that for different songs.

Expressions: Have you played any other musical instruments?

Saavedra: Yes, I used to sing in choir as well as playing the trumpet. I’m actually getting back to that because my mom wanted me to teach her to play the trumpet.

Expressions: Do you have any upcoming events?

Saavedra: Yes, we do play at farmers market at least once a month so everyone is welcome to come and see us play if they are more interested in the instrument.