One Size Does Not Fit All

One Size Does Not Fit All

Brandy Melville is a clothing store that is very popular among teenage girls, including the students at San Luis Obispo High School. This brand can be classified as “chic” and “trendy”. The brand claims to be soft, inexpensive, and have a miraculous “one size fits all” size chart. Whoa!

Since when does one size fit all body types?

Students at SLOHS have different body types that fit in different styles of clothes. Brandy Melville is telling young girls that if their body type does not fit into their “one size fits all” (worn by their gorgeous models) then their body size is not acceptable. Personally, this conformity that Brandy is advertising makes me not want to buy their clothing. I see girls on the SLOHS campus everyday wearing Brandy Melville, and I don’t understand why they would support the brand.

I interviewed sophomore Camryn Goodwin on the problem and she said, “Brandy’s ‘one size fits all’ does not fit all, clearly. I am really short so most of their jeans and dresses do not fit me. I buy their t-shirts because they have cute basics for a good price.”

Every teen loves a great bargain for something cute!

Junior Natalie Sada wears Brandy Melville quite often and said, “I like to shop at Brandy because it’s affordable and their main demographic sells to petite girls and I’m 5’2’’ so all of their clothes fit me really well.” So while one size might fit some, it doesn’t fit all. What seems to pull SLOHS students in buying Brandy clothes is how inexpensive their clothing costs.

In an act of protest against Brandy’s body shaming corporation, SLOHS students should instead buy from cheap and trendy thrift stores around San Luis Obispo that can satisfy the need for inexpensive cute clothes that have different sizes.  End the shaming that if you don’t fit into the LA based clothing of Brandy Melville that you aren’t an acceptable size.

View Comments (1)