Coachella vs. Stagecoach

There are a few things that come to mind when San Luis Obispo High School students think about spring: warm weather, summer clothing, and music festivals. Many SLOHS students attended a variety of music festivals within the past several weeks, including Coachella and Stagecoach.

Coachella music festival is located in Indio, California and goes on for two consecutive weekends, April 10-12 and April 17-19. According to billboard.com, tickets were sold out 11 months prior to the festival. When asked what the best part of Coachella was this year, senior Oda Sanaker said, “Being able to see so many artists in just a few days. It was also fun going with my friends and to dance and listen to music.”

Another popular music festival amongst SLOHS students is Stagecoach, also located in Indio, California. This year, the festival was on April 29, 30 and May 1. It is put on by the same company as Coachella. However, it is much less well-known and the majority of the music performed is Country. When asked what the best part of Stagecoach was this year senior Nick Attala said, “I liked Carrie Underwood and Sam Hunt. Also, seeing friends in college who went.”

Over the past few years, a rivalry has formed between the two festivals begging the question Which is better? When asked why she thinks Coachella is better than Stagecoach Sanaker said, “Because I’m not into country music. And I like the music style and atmosphere at Coachella.” When asked the same question Attala said, “I really like country music and all the performers were really good. Also, people get really into it.”

Both SLOHS seniors responded “yes” when asked if they were planning to attend the festival next year. Perhaps one festival isn’t better than the other, but whether or not someone will enjoy their experience is based upon their music taste and other interests.