SLOHS FFA Succeeds At State Conference

On April 21, San Luis Obispo High School’s Future Farmers of America made the trek up to Fresno, California for the 2016 FFA State conference, where students spent a week competing in various speaking and job skill contests, as well as connecting with and learning from members in other chapters.

Our very own FFA Teacher Jodi Evans was named the 2016 California State Star Advisor and our chapter received the National Chapter Award.

The AgriScience research project team placed 4th in state. It’s their first year competing in this contest.

The Novice Parliamentary Procedure team was named state champions, with high debaters freshmen Sydney Anselmo and Janea Huber. The Advanced Parliamentary Procedure team placed 4th in state, and the outstanding high debater was awarded to junior Carolyn Adams.

Freshmen Lili Steel and Taylor Young were named first and third State Champion Creed Speaker.

Senior Amber Bjerre was the State Champion in the Job Interview competition; she will be competing in her fourth national contest in the fall.

Senior Luke O’Leary, junior Kalena Cirone, and sophomore Minori Jaggia all placed third in state for their contests (prepared, extemporaneous, impromptu).

In addition, 2015 SLOHS graduate Joelle Lewis gave her retiring address as California FFA State president to nearly 6,000 members.

“It’s really cool to see the underclass men getting involved and excited about agriculture. There’s so many opportunities within the organization, it’s great when people are able to find their niche,” said junior FFA Officer Carolyn Adams.