What You Need To Know About SLO’s Bike Kitchen

As this incredibly exhausting school year begins to wind down, San Luis Obispo High School students are busy making plans for the summer. Some are planning extravagant trips, while others are signing up for Cuesta classes, and yet many are still searching for the perfect enriching summer opportunity that fits their interests. If your main avocation includes bikes, then look no more! Expressions interviewed San Luis Obispo High School 2013 graduate Emily McBride about Earn-a-Bike program and SLO’s very own Bike Kitchen.

Expressions: How did you get involved with Bike SLO County?

San Luis Obispo High School 2013 graduate Emily McBride: I grew up in SLO with parents who loved to bike, so I was basically raised on a bike, and love them still! Our family has always been involved in the cycling community locally. I hope to work for nonprofit organizations like Bike SLO County when I graduate Humboldt State, so I reached out to Dan Rivoire (the Director of Bike SLO County) and asked if he needed any interns for the summer.

Expressions: What will your duties as an intern be?

McBride: My boyfriend Rory Baker will be joining me as an intern for Bike SLO, and our job will be to start up the Earn-a-Bike program. We will coordinate with the volunteers, and make sure everyone learns the skills they need to fix up bikes. We are also going to be helping out with other Bike SLO Programs like Bike Valet and Kidical Mass throughout the summer.

Expressions: What is the Bike Kitchen?

McBride: The Bike Kitchen is in downtown SLO on the corner of Pacific and Morro streets. It is a community space where people can come learn how to fix their bikes. They have tons of tools, and mechanics on hand to help you out. They also have gently used bikes and bike parts for sale at accessible prices. The kitchen is for anyone, whether you need to use a really specific tool on your fancy bike, or want to learn to change a flat tire! We are excited to bring some younger folks into the Kitchen and get them involved in the bike community. You can check out bikeslocounty.org for the hours of the Bike Kitchen.

Expressions: What sort of students are you looking for?

McBride: For this summer program, we are looking for people who are stoked on bikes. Whether you don’t have much mechanical knowledge, or you already work on bikes, we would love to get in touch. Ideally, we want to work with students who either don’t have a bike, or don’t have access to a well-working one. We will be working one or two days a week in the evening, so having that free time will be important.

Expressions: You said students would be able to earn a sweet bike for themselves, how does that work?

McBride: The program works like this: The Bike Kitchen has lots of bikes that have been donated that need to be fixed up. Participants in the program will help fix up five bikes over the course of the summer. Whichever bike is their favorite, they will get to take that lovely bike home with them.

Expressions: What’s the best way for interested students to get in on this amazing opportunity?

McBride: I am currently working with Dan on how we are going to select participants, but for now I will say shoot me an email at [email protected] and put the subject BIKE SLO SUMMER.