Album Review: “Don’t You”

It’s been a month since Brooklyn based band, Wet, dropped their debut album. After countless plays, “Don’t You” hasn’t gotten the least bit tiring. The rhythmic melody and cynical lyrics revolving around heartbreak don’t feel like a mimic but instead painfully sincere. Hearing the 11 tracks for the first time might even make you want to lock yourself in a dark room and wallow over every relationship ever had.

Slow jams “Deadwater” and “It’s All In Vain” mix R&B with an organic form of synthpop unique to Wet. Vocalist Kelly Zutrua sings, “Now I see you never knew me/Look at you, you look right through me,” describing the isolation felt in a failing romance in a simple, yet gut wrenchingly relatable way. Zutrua continues to show her vulnerability in the album through crippling loneliness that makes the listener feel as if they are reading Zutrua’s diary.

Although the album begins to sound almost too similar as each song blends into the next, it’s hard to complain with the beautiful trance the listener finds them self in. Zutrua showcases her range best in the standout song “Your’re The Best”.

“Don’t You” is stripped down dreamy perfection that makes some seriously serene slow jams worth playing on repeat for hours.

Rating: 7/10

Essential Tracks: “Deadwater”, “You’re The Best”, “These Days”

Sounds Like: Yuna, BROODS, Banks,