The National Anthem; Forced Nationalism in Public Schools

At San Luis Obispo High School, students are often required to attend a variety of spirit rallies and events. At each of these aversely attended conclaves, students are contrived to rise from their seats to listen to no student in particular belt out the national anthem like an over-excited six year old in the presence of cake, while simultaneously cupping our breast in a queer show of appreciation for Old Glory. If students fail to comply with this long rooted custom, they face disappointed looks from disapproving adults, as well as burning glares of hatred from peers.

Why, in such a modern time as this, are students pressured to adhere to a practice with which they do not agree? Though I cannot speak for others, I personally find the actions of the United States government; in regards to issues at home and abroad, to be heinous. Why would I stand to honor, nor pledge my allegiance to a system which exploits and destroys unstable regions around the world, while also oppressing its citizens at home all in the name of corporate Imperialism? I wouldn’t, and I don’t. I do not stand when I hear the national anthem at student rallies or sporting events out of respect for the millions of people killed and/or displaced by the United States government and their deranged desire to keep the overfunded and under-criticized boot of the military industrial complex tightly mashed against the throat of the developing world.

View Comments (7)