Artist Spotlight: Lauren Hatcher

San Luis Obispo High School has a multitude of talented singers and songwriters.  Of these gifted musicians, sophomore Lauren Hatcher’s powerful, deep voice and songwriting skills truly stand out. Hatcher began her career in fifth grade when she joined a local band, the Arkadians. In eighth grade, Hatcher separated from the Arkadians to pursue her own solo-career. Hatcher’s music is a pleasing mix of pop with a touch of rock influences. Expressions interviewed Hatcher about her music and future plans for her singing career.

Expressions: What inspired you to start singing and songwriting?

Sophomore Lauren Hatcher: I guess it all started when I got really into Taylor Swift around third grade.  She made me want to learn to play an instrument and start singing.  At first I wanted to learn violin but then my mom convinced me to try guitar and that’s where it all began I guess.

Expressions: How would you describe your music style?

Hatcher: My style is closest to pop with some rock elements and influences.

Expressions: What instruments do you play?

Hatcher: I play guitar, the bass, ukulele, and a little bit of piano. I really like playing the guitar though because that is the instrument I’m best at, though bass is a close second.

Expressions: Who are your favorite singers/songwriters?

Hatcher: Taylor Swift is very high on that list, other than that Ed Sheeran, the Beatles, John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Haim, and John Denver are some of my favorite artists.

Expressions: What made you branch away from the Arkadians and become a solo artist?

Hatcher: Well it’s always been a dream of mine to perform on my own and write my own songs, and being in a band was just something completely different.  Being in the band helped me improve musically but I wanted to do more of my own songs and style. I felt it would be easier to do that when I was a solo artist.  I also didn’t exactly have the same music taste as my band members and I just outgrew the Arkadians and needed to try something new.

Expressions: What has been your best experience performing?

Hatcher: One of my best experiences performing was actually when I performed at twenty-four hour relay last year. I was singing one of my original songs and everybody just started singing along to the chorus. That was a really cool experience to see people singing along and knowing all the words to a song I had written.

Expressions: What has been the most challenging aspect of singing/songwriting?

Hatcher: For songwriting, writer’s block. It is especially hard because I could write two or three songs in a week then go for a couple months with no new inspiration. It scares me when that happens because I begin to panic and wonder if I’ll ever write another song again. When I finally get inspired to write again it’s just a huge relief to see the end of that metaphorical drought.

Expressions: Where do you find inspiration to write your songs, and what do you like most about songwriting?

Hatcher: It actually depends on to what music I’m listening to at the time, often I hear a song I enjoy and it will give me an idea. If I’ve been listening to a lot of Ed Sheeran, my songs tend to use more analogies and descriptive words, I guess. If I’ve been listening to Taylor Swift or The Beatles for instance, my music tends to take on some of their aspects as well, but of course I put my own spin on it.

Expressions: Ten years from now, where do you hope to see your musical career?

Hatcher: Ideally I would really like to be able to record my own music and go on tour. That would just be a whole new musical experience and I would be able to learn so much and improve myself musically.

Click here to listen to some of Hatcher’s music.