Oregon Militia Takes Over Federal Building

Armed anti-government protesters have taken over a federal building in Oregon in order to fight the federal government’s influence in preserving county land. Essentially, the group claims they want unrestricted access to the land for their cattle and livestock. The militia is led by the Bundys, a family that already has history with a  previous standoff with the government over grazing rights.

Junior Sean Keane said, “What the heck? I didn’t even know this was going on – that’s crazy!”

Conflict first arose when a group of over 300 protesters paraded through Burns, Oregon to protest the sentencing of Dwight Hammond Jr, and his son Steven Hammond. The father and son lit fires in 2001 and 2006 on federal land to reduce the growth of invasive plants and protect their property from wildfires. A judge has ordered them to return to prison for four years because the time they had already served did not meet minimum-sentencing laws.

The Hammonds do not support the current protesters and disavow the actions of the Bundy family.

“These people are actually soapboxing their crazy and absurd views of what the government should be, which is a completely separate issue than the original issue with the [Hammonds],” said senior Aiden Beals.

While the protest is said to remain peaceful, local sheriff David Ward said, “these men had alternative motives to attempt to overthrow the county and federal government in hopes to spark a movement across the United States.”

View Comments (2)