Is A New Coach Enough For Our Football Team?

[dropcap]S[/dropcap]an Luis Obispo High School football had an eventful offseason. David Kelly who had coached the team for the past 5 years, resigned, leaving the tigers coach less. The school received a handful of applications to fulfill the job of being the head varsity football coach position. After viewing all the applications, Pat Johnston was the final choice.

It is no secret that our football team has suffered in the past years, and this year with a new coach, the outlook doesn’t look any different. Weeks into the 2014 season, the Tigers have only won one game. Although that may not seem like a good thing now, it shows we have the potential to do great.

When asked about where this football season is going players still maintain hopeful, senior Colton Marcum said, “We’ve gotten better each by the game and I think by the end of the season we’ll be a great team this year.”

“We’ve gotten better each by the game and I think by the end of the season we’ll be a great team this year.”

The biggest difference from this year and last year is the new coach we have. After the controversy surrounding Senior Sam Thompson said, “Coach Johnston is doing great with us. He’s a great coach and easy to talk to and learn from.” Coach Johnston’s new coaching techniques will not only add new plays to our plans, but they will surprise our opposing team with surprising runs.

Every team has things they can improve on as a team. “Our team chemistry can improve, also defensively I know this last game we had a big game but I still think we can improve on defense and as a team or as a unit,” said Marcum.

It’s still pretty early into the season, and only time will tell if getting a new football coach is going to be enough to become an excellent team. Let’s pack the stands in the upcoming games with “the jungle” and support the SLOHS football team.