Between Gym Rats And Health Enthusiast, SLOHS Has Them All

Students workout in the SLOHS weight room weekly, for some, daily. Photo courtesy of senior Asia Jade Hagans.

If students at San Luis Obispo High School were to walk by the small gym or the weight room, they’ll likely see P.E classes working out or student athletes training. 

“I like the gym because it’s a good way to atleast get into shape and feel good and confident about your body,” said footballer Amani Avina. 

The discussion of health is something that has skyrocketed in recent years due to social media influencers and the ‘ideal physique’ aesthetic. 

“When I first started working out, I would go to the gym and when that became difficult, I started doing stuff at home, and that’s when I would find different YouTubers that would do stuff. It helped me do a shorter workout with less of the driving time,” said assistant principal Ryan Garcia.

SLO has many gym offerings such as Kennedy Fitness, Club 24, and Planet Fitness.

“I like lifting weights, it makes me feel good. I go to the YMCA, it’s pretty small but I like it because of the nostalgia, it’s where I started,” said senior Marcial Solano.

Going to the gym is not a requirement for a healthy lifestyle but it definitely helps.