Seminar Classes Are Worth It!

The AP Exam dates are fast approaching. Photo courtesy of sophomore Aidan Field.

Plenty of students at San Luis Obispo High School choose to take AP (Advanced Placement) classes. The majority of AP classes offer a seminar in the third trimester that students can use to better prepare for the coming AP tests.

To take a seminar, students need to dedicate an entire trimester long class for AP test preparation.

Seminars are technically optional, leaving many students wondering whether or not it is worth their time.

Some students choose to take seminars because they get more time to learn about intriguing subjects.

“I’m actually interested in topics like literature and environmental science,” said junior Kiana Blau.

AP classes are difficult, and extra studying is definitely helpful, especially when taking an AP test for the possibility of college credit.

“I’m taking [the Chemistry and Calculus BC seminars] because both of those classes just have a lot of content and it’s stuff that you really have to be good at and have practiced a lot,” said senior Matthias Libertini.

Many students struggle to balance their seminar classes and other classes they need or want to take. Some seminar classes are more valuable than others to prepare for AP tests, but specific ones will be jam packed with necessary information. 

“I’m taking seminars to prepare for the AP test,” said junior Abhay Sanilnath.

After students take the AP test for their class, they have a lot of extra time to explore their interests in the subject. AP teachers often wind down after the AP test and allow students to catch a break after a long year of studying.

In seminar classes, students get all the time they need to prepare, and extra time at the end to cool down. If anyone is on the fence about taking an AP seminar class or not, it’s definitely worth it.