Local Band Night Riots Are Hitting It Big

Local upcoming alternative band Night Riots are starting to get attention from alternative radio and their hit song “Contagious” was number five on SiriusXM’s Alternative Top 18 list. Although this band is getting more publicity, not many students at San Luis Obispo High School have heard of them.

Night Riots is from Templeton, where band members Travis Hawley (lead vocals), Nick Fotinakes (guitarist), Matt DePauw (guitarist), Mikel Van Kranenburg (bassist), and Rico Rodriguez (drummer) all met. Hawley was originally from England but moved to Templeton where he met the rest of the band.

Senior Bardo Novotny first heard of them in middle school when they were called PK.

“Their stuff has shifted… their style was more like Arctic Monkeys, but it was a lot more pure, acoustic instruments and electric guitars,” said Novotny.

Sophomore Lauren Hanson said [about the song Contagious], “I like it, I like the beat. The guy who sings, his voice is really good, I like the harmonies. I wasn’t really listening to the words, I was listening to the instruments, but his voice was good and I’m sure the words were good too.”

Night Riots is having a concert Friday February 20 at 8 o’clock at SLOBrew, so anyone interested in seeing an upcoming local alternative/indie rock  band perform should attend the show. Also, they are performing at the Van’s Warped Tour on June 21 in Ventura.

nightriots.com/band

vanswarpedtour.com/bands/nightriots