Two Sports, One Field

As the San Luis Obispo Track team starts up, it has  run into one more  hurdle, the soccer team. Though all sports are equal, there is not equal space for all teams to practice. The runners run on the track with no problem, but the discus throwers have to wait till season starts to practice their throws because soccer takes up both fields the practice and the football field.

Returning thrower senior Sam Hatchard said, “I would love to throw disc, but with soccer in the way, we can’t set up the safety nets and we can’t throw. It’s a hundred yard field; we should have some way to be able to make space.”  Though track is only in preseason it still has an amazing roster of over 150 kids.

With the Bearcat relays  less than three weeks away track is quickly getting under way. Head Coach Adam Basch is making his speeches short and sweet so the soccer team can play their pre-game music every time we have a home game.

Even though track only has to wait a couple weeks, our soccer team is definitely good enough to go into post season and maybe win CIF for another year, making the throwers wait even longer to get in their necessary practice.

Junior Evan Stork said, “It’s definitely an inconvenience.  I think we should share more often but definitely more than we are now.” Throwers definitely have some strong feelings about sharing the track, but they still admire the soccer players for their hard work and determination.