Records Return in a Vinyl Renaissance

In the past couple of years, the United States have seen a huge boost in the sales of vinyl records. This revival of records, which once dominated the music business throughout the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s, is being brought back by teenagers and young-adults. Purchasing vinyl has become a popular culture among certain young people.

In an interview with junior Nick Redfern, a member of San Luis Obispo High School’s vinyl club, he said, “It’s become kind of a trend, people are always taking about collecting or wanting to go buy fifty dollar reissued [records].” Redfern continued to say that he, along with others, buys records not only to listen to, but also to enjoy the artwork on the records. Redfern and other vinyl club members represent a group at SLOHS that has contributed to the recent movement of buying records.

Records are statically making a comeback. Nielsen Entertainment’s music industry report showed that vinyl sales have grown forty percent from 2013 to 2014 in the United States. In San Luis Obispo, the sale of records has also seen an increase. Mike White, owner of local music store Boo Boo Records, said, “high school aged kids have been a big part of vinyl’s resurgence-they’re definitely a significant percentage of our sales. Once they make this deep connection to the history of recorded music, they’re swept up in the ageless act of listening to records and are hooked.”