Stop using racist slurs

There are many unrefined parts of the English language. Much of it sounds poor out of context, but makes sense at a certain place or time. There are, however, some words or phrases that should never be used. One of the most underrated problems in today’s common vernacular is the use of the “N-Word”.

Everyone knows the history behind the short-but powerful-word, but it is constantly dropped like any other vulgar term. The N-Word is not just a six letter cuss word. It symbolizes much more than that. Behind the term lies one of the darkest parts of North American History (no pun intended).

Centuries of horrific abuse are summed up into that one word. Though it has lost some of its effect, the N-Word is still the worst thing you can call a black person.

This does not mean it is acceptable to use it when not directed at someone; the word holds too much power to be used as a normal curse word. While you may not feel the power it wields against people around you, someone else might, and that is not a burden you want to pass on to another person.

In today’s society the interpretations of the word can become confusing. Due to the racist history of the word, it can be hard to decode its usage correctly. Since the occasions for its appearance vary so much, deciphering its intent can be nearly impossible.

The offensiveness of the N-word is not strictly condemned to black people. Many non-black people who have a personal relation to a person of color can be offended by its use. Because the people around them don’t know of this relation they tend to drop the word a lot more frequently.

One solution to this problem is making an announcement telling people of your situation. This however, is not the way it should be. People should refrain from the usage of the N-Word even if there are no black people present.