All I Want For Christmas Is… to Know How Much Mariah Carey Makes Off One Song

Snowy mountains of money. Graphic courtesy of senior Alma Tinoco.

Without a doubt, students at San Luis Obispo High School have heard music artist Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” at least once this month. With the start of winter break and the approach of the foretold holiday, Carey’s tune will hit its yearly peak and finally stop plaguing retail stores nationwide. Without failure, the popularity of “All I Want For Christmas Is You” holds up every year and that leaves one winter wonder–

How much profit has Mariah Carey made off of “All I Want For Christmas Is You” since its debut to this present year?

“My family and I started playing it in the car and we haven’t stopped playing Christmas music since then. ‘All I Want For Christmas’ is like a gateway song to Christmas festivities,” said senior Cassiopeia Mamaradlo.

“All I Want For Christmas Is You” is famously rumored to be written in 15 minutes by Carey, and went on to make sixty million dollars from its 1994 release to 2016. This was an average of 2.6 million per year, which is now an average of three million since 2017 to the present day.

“I saw [Mariah Carey defrosting] right around the end of Halloween. The moment it turned November it was just instant Mariah Carey,” said senior Gabe Limon.

On December 24 of 2022, it is estimated that the track was streamed 21,273,357 times. It is expected that the song will exceed over a hundred million dollars in earnings this year. With Carey “defrosting” on social media platform Tik Tok as early as November 1 this year, Carey raked in the holiday season and now rakes in the money.

Here’s to hearing this holiday tune non-stop in the coming days. Happy holidays, Tigers!

Sources: americansongwriter.comparade.comhiphopdx.com