New Year’s Resolutions Make Students Feel More Guilty than Motivated

Wishes for the New Year. Photo courtesy of junior Julian Johnson.

Many students at San Luis Obispo High School have celebrated the new year by making resolutions. The expectations to make a “new start” might not be the way to go.

“Sometimes my resolutions are really unrealistic and crazy so I don’t tend to succeed but if I set small goals, for the most part, I do them,” said senior Naomi Garrett.

Resolutions have the potential to support self-improvement, but going about them the wrong way can have the opposite result. If participating in the tradition of resolutions, it is often easiest to write down a goal and be done with it. Instead, students should evaluate the purpose behind goals and strategize how to stick to them.

Students might also choose not to make resolutions because the common goals like eating healthier or spending more time outside aren’t a priority. It would be more helpful to choose an attainable task related to increasing positive influences such as hobbies. 

Restructuring the lifestyle at the start of the year is a lot of pressure. Small goals would also be more easy to manage. Students should stay realistic about their responsibilities and what new goals they are able to take on. 

“I made a resolution to do an assignment when I get it and not put it off, and last year I implemented it and it definitely worked,” said Garrett.

New Years can also be a bad time for setting goals because if they fall through, it can set negative expectations for the rest of 2024. 

“I have goals for myself, but if I set a New Year’s resolution and I don’t follow through, I feel like a failure,” said freshman Tessa Roos.

It’s already a day into the new year, but that should not hold students back from making goals for the future to improve wellbeing.

Source: mdanderson.org