Gambling with Online and In-Person Shopping

Ordering online while in person. Photo courtesy of Adobe Firefly.

Shopping online is how a large percentage of San Luis Obispo High School students buy their personal luxuries, including clothes. It’s no secret that buying and shopping for clothes online is incredibly easy to do because of its at-home accessibility. But is it that simple?

“I buy clothes almost always online. I use TikTok shops and other online stores. Online shopping is way easier to do, at least for me,” said sophomore Pressly Akey.

Convenience can save individuals a lot of time, especially for San Luis Obispo High School students. After a long day of school filled with monotonous hours of learning, it’s typical to want to recharge yourself back at home. So, why not just buy things online and save time and energy? 

It’s hard to beat buying and shopping anytime and anywhere, that’s for sure. However, that is no excuse to overrule the cons of online shopping when it comes to clothes. 

Accounting for the potential mishaps of buying clothes on the web might change your mind next time you are thinking about taking the online route for clothes shopping.

“I buy clothes once every two weeks online. Sometimes you get something that you don’t like, doesn’t fit you, and it can kinda be hard to return it. You also have to pay for shipping,” said junior Finn Zovich. 

It’s not all positive with shopping online, but the same could be said for shopping in person. Shopping online gives you access to many more stores than the ones you have access to in person, and vice versa.

“I use Depop but honestly I don’t like going online either. Downtown has good stores that you can’t find online. Sometimes I thrift my clothes at the bins too,” said junior Jack Celgeski. 

Buying not only new clothes but used as well online and in person is a whole other debate, but buying used clothes and the debate around them is increasingly more relevant to SLOHS students.

Access to getting clothes is close to unlimited, there is no right or wrong way to get your clothes; there is a personal preference for everyone.